Hemp Milk: An Alternative to Dairy
If you haven’t already heard about the Benefits of Hemp seeds, then you’re definitely missing out. Having recently begun seeking out new ways to incorporate cannabis into our every day lifestyle, we figured why not try making our own hemp milk? We made the switch to dairy free milk about this time last year and couldn’t be happier with the result. The two of us have really noticed a difference with our overall digestive health.
Homemade hemp milk is very simple to make and has a ton of added benefits. In fact, it makes a healthy alternative for those not able to consume dairy or soy milk. Just like cow’s milk, it contains magnesium, which helps support healthy bones and muscles. It also contains other important minerals, such as calcium and phosphorus to help strengthen teeth and bones. With a creamy texture and nutty flavour it makes a great addition to our morning smoothies, over cereal/granola or anywhere else we would typically use milk!
3/4 Cup of Hemp Seeds
3 Cups of Water (Preferably Filtered)
Pinch of Salt
1-2 tsp Raw Honey
1/2-1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
To make the Hemp Milk:
- Combine hemp seeds, water and salt in a high-speed blender
- Blend on high for approximately 60 seconds
- At this point we like to taste it, then add a date or two for sweetness. Depending on what we plan on using it for we will also add a little vanilla and blend again for about 20-30 more seconds. You could also use honey instead of the date
- You can strain with cheesecloth or a nut bag for a smoother texture, but this isn’t necessary
- Pour into an air tight container, keeps for about a week in the fridge